Archive

Posts Tagged ‘kubuntu’

Changing default browser in Kubuntu

August 6th, 2009 6 comments

Yes, I am writing a blog post for a task that sounds very simple to achieve – just with a click of a button. But this is not true, atleast  with Kubuntu 9.04. If  you are coming to this post through search engine then you have already gone through this pain. If not, give it a try 😉

Surprisingly, the browser’s functionality of setting it as default doesn’t work in Kubuntu. At the same time, changing it manually from System Settings -> Default Applications doesn’t seem to work either.

To set one of your browser as default browser, you have to run the command

$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

You will see the list of browsers currently available in your system and then you will enter the number for the browser you want to set as default. My console with 3 browsers was something like follows

$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

There are 3 alternatives which provide `x-www-browser'.

Selection    Alternative
-----------------------------------------------
+        1    /usr/bin/konqueror
2    /usr/bin/firefox-3.0
*         3    /usr/bin/google-chrome

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:

That is it. Enter the number for the browser you like and hit ENTER. You have your browser set as default.

Gave up waiting for root device – Kubuntu

July 1st, 2009 3 comments

If you are consistently getting the Gave up waiting for root device error while booting your ubuntu/kubuntu box, its time to make a small change to your grub menu file.

But to be able to do that you should atleast login to your account. As a first step try to reboot your machine a few times. If this still doesn’t take you any further, wait for sometime on the screen showing above message and then type exit on the shell which will then take you ahead. If not, wait for some more time and then try again.

Once you are through, login to your account and then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add rootdelay=90 in as a kernel parameter. The final entry should look something like

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic root=UUID=105e82bc-3131-428f-ad9e-aa5f55833421 ro quiet splash rootdelay=90
Tags: ,

pidgin not connecting to yahoo

June 25th, 2009 Comments off

Well … it looks like Yahoo! is once again changing its protocol and everytime this happens, we, the *nix users suffers most as there is no official version of Yahoo! messenger available.

I am using Pidgin (formerly Gaim) since last 6 years and have gone through this pain of not being able to connect to Yahoo! for few days when they are changing the protocal. The time has come again as I was not able to login to my Yahoo! account since yesterday.

[ad#co-2]

Being a Kubutu user, I tried to update my version of Pidgin from 2.5.5 to the latest 2.5.7 but unfortunately, it is still not available in kubuntu repository. But I found the alternative and thought of sharing with all those who are facing the same issue. Adding the Launchpad repository to the apt sources did the trick for me. I used the following commands on my Kubuntu 9.04 to achieve this –

First run:

$ sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 67265eb522bdd6b1c69e66ed7fb8bee0a1f196a8

then open the sources file –

$ sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list

and add the following at the end of the file

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu   jaunty main

and then upgrade pidgin

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade pidgin

That’s it. You can now connect to your favorite Yahoo! messenger again.

Happy chatting.

Blocked updates in Kubuntu

June 24th, 2009 5 comments

Now it’s more than two months since my transition from Fedora to Kubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope). I am enjoying trouble free running on my desktop as well as EEEPc 1000HE since then.

The one thing I am following regularly is, keeping the system uptodate using the default package manager, KPackageKit. Everything was going fine till yesterday when it started showing me 4 blocked updates. I was wondering if the updates are blocked, why are they being shown in the first place.

There was no way to remove them from the list and the KPackageKit just stuck there.

After searching for a while, it was clear that this is a issue with KPackageKit which cannot update the packages which has some other dependencies and straightaway marks them as blocked.

The only solution to get rid of these blocked updates is to do the command line upgrade by doing:

$ sudo apt-get update

followed by

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

HTH